About Operation Christmas Child
How to pack
It’s never too early to start packing shoe-boxes for Operation Christmas Child! Back to school sales and end of summer clearance sales are great opportunities to get school supplies, clothes, and summer toys for a fraction of the cost. Don’t forget to pray for the children that will receive your gifts as you shop. We look forward to exceeding our goal of 425 this year. Pray about the number of souls you will reach with your shoe-boxes. Boxes that are ready to ship can be placed at the foot of the cross on the stage.
1. Use an empty shoe box (standard size, please) or a small plastic container. You can wrap the box (lid separately), but wrapping is not required. Most importantly, pray for the child who will receive your gift.
2. Determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child’s age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Print out the appropriate boy/girl label by downloading the labels above. Mark the correct age category on the label, and tape the label to the top of your box.
3. Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child. Use the gift ideas provided on the left.
4. Please donate $7 or more for each shoe box you prepare to help cover shipping and other project costs. You can give online by using our “Follow Your Box Donation” option, or you can write a check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the gift items inside your box. If you or your family are preparing more than one shoe box, please make one combined donation.
5. Place a rubber band around each closed shoe box and drop off at the Collection Center nearest you during our collection week.
What to pack
Small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, small Etch A Sketch®, toys that light up or make noise (with extra batteries), Slinky®, etc.
Pens, pencils and sharpener, crayons or markers, stamps and ink pad sets, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, coloring and picture books, etc.
Toothbrush, toothpaste, mild bar soap (in a plastic bag), comb, washcloth, etc.
Hard candy and lollipops (please double bag all candy), mints, gum, T-shirts, socks, ball caps, sunglasses, hair clips, toy jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries)
A PERSONAL NOTE
In a separate envelope, you may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself or your family. (If you include your name and address, the child may write back.)
DO NOT INCLUDE:
Used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; out-of-date candy; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such as snow globes or glass containers; aerosol cans